[At-Large] [ALAC-Announce] Monthly RoundTable 2 (by EURALO) / was: A briefing by the European Commission

Joanna Kulesza jkuleszaicann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:53:28 UTC 2021

Well noted OCL, sounds like an issue of jurisdiction, doesn't it? As you
yourself had already advertised on this list I believe, EURALO is
hosting this round-table next Tuesday, where we'll look at the scope of
public and private regulation online:
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=157188757. We
just might come up with some answers to these questions.

Best to all,

Joanna

W dniu 19.02.2021 o 12:46, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via At-Large pisze:
> You are right, Karl, and then what happens when other authorities
> start with their extra-territorial demands? Is the space going to turn
> into a regulation minefield? Is it going to cause a break-up of the
> Internet space? Or will it be so complex, only the largest players
> like the GAFAs have the resources to navigate the legislation thus
> killing off any smaller players and aiding consolidation, which we all
> agree is a bad thing for competition?
> Kindest regards,
>
> Olivier
>
> On 19/02/2021 10:59, Karl Auerbach wrote:
>> While it is easy to focus on the GDPR one must not forget that as a
>> California public-benefit/non-profit corporation, ICANN is subject to
>> California's new privacy protection law, the CCPA, which is
>> considered by some to be GDPR on steroids.  While the CCPA's extent
>> may not extend beyond California residents, the state does tend to
>> have a large footprint.
>>
>> https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa
>>
>>     --karl--
>>
>> On 2/19/21 12:39 AM, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via At-Large wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I recommended this Webinar as it feels somehow as a milestone in
>>> ICANN's history.
>>>
>>> The GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation, that was rolled out
>>> and enforced by the European Commission, had a big impact on ICANN's
>>> registration directory services. Whilst a replacement to WHOIS, the
>>> database of domain name registrants, has been in research for many
>>> years, the GDPR has changed the game and ICANN had to create an
>>> "expedited policy development process - EPDP" in the GNSO to create
>>> new rules relating to the access to registration data. That work is
>>> still in progress

Kind regards,
Joanna Kulesza
Joanna Kulesza, PhD