[At-Large] [technology taskforce] Ars Technica : A Chrome feature is creating enormous load on global root DNS servers

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 02:15:35 UTC 2021

An update from Versign's blog Jan 7 2021
https://blog.verisign.com/domain-names/chromiums-reduction-of-root-dns-traffic/

" In a previous blog post
<https://blog.verisign.com/domain-names/chromiums-impact-on-root-dns-traffic/>,
we quantified that upwards of 45.80% of total DNS traffic to the root
servers was, at the time, the result of Chromium intranet redirection
detection tests. Since then, the Chromium team has redesigned its code
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1090985> to disable
the redirection test on Android systems and introduced a multi-state DNS
interception policy that supports disabling the redirection test for
desktop browsers. This functionality was released mid-November of 2020 for
Android systems in Chromium 87 and, quickly thereafter, the root servers
experienced a rapid decline of DNS queries...."

.... Prior to the software release, the root server system saw peaks of
~143 billion queries per day. Traffic volumes have since decreased to ~84
billion queries a day. This represents more than a 41% reduction of total
query volume."

So some significant reductions...and more when the Chromium desktop client
gets the update.

Dev Anand