[At-Large] [technology taskforce] Ars Technica : A Chrome feature is creating enormous load on global root DNS servers

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 18:34:22 UTC 2020

Thanks for the link to the OCTO-008 (at
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/octo-008-15apr20-en.pdf) file.
 However, it doesn't say its a non-issue. Under 3.1

"The Chromium queries are the largest single cause of queries to root
servers. Other IMRS instances often see over 50% of all incoming queries
from Chromium. The purpose of these queries is to check if Chromium is
behind a captive portal. Provisioning for root servers is often a function
of the overall load on root servers to satisfy the scaling needs. While
these queries are free for Chromium to make, the cost of provisioning for
root-server instances is not. Google has been notified of this issue, but
it remains outstanding."

The two related Bug issues :
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=946450&q=intranet%20redirect&can=2
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1090985