[At-Large] Presentation Tips

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at innovatorsnetwork.org
Sat Jun 20 16:05:59 UTC 2020

Yep, famous advice from Guy! Thanks for the reminder, Evan!

From: At-Large <at-large-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org> on behalf of Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>
Date: Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 9:01 AM
To: Marita Moll <mmoll at ca.inter.net>
Cc: ICANN At-Large list <at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Subject: Re: [At-Large] Presentation Tips

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 11:16, Marita Moll <mmoll at ca.inter.net<mailto:mmoll at ca.inter.net>> wrote:

Great tips Jonathan -- but we can't just take images from the web and stick them on powerpoints destined for a world wide audience and which will continue to exist in archives.

Why not? It depends on your source. Getting stuff randomly off the net doesn't make something sustainable, but it can if you:

  *   Download the image(s) and insert/embed rather than link;
  *   Ask permission from the creator (if possible) or
  *   Use  one of the many<https://unsplash.com/> sources<https://pixabay.com/> of royalty-free<https://www.pexels.com/> photos<https://www.freeimages.com/> and graphics<https://www.openclipart.org/>.
As for a worldwide audience, that's a factor when selecting images in the first place so they're widely understood during your presentation as well as archived.

For me, I try when possible to stick to the tried-and-true 10-20-30 rule for presentations<https://guykawasaki.com/the_102030_rule/> created by VC maven Guy Kawasaki. The rule means that presentations should NOT:

  *   Have more than 10 slides
  *   Be longer than 20 minutes
  *   Have a font size smaller than 30 point.
While originally designed as instruction how a startup can best make a pitch to investors, the rule is widely applicable as it considers the purpose of slides (to support the presentation rather than BE it) and the audience's attention span and ability to digest new information. While coined in 2005, the rule has stood the test of time<https://www.slidegenius.com/blog/guy-kawasakis-10-20-30-rule-presentation> and is just as, if not more relevant now as then.

When I find in preparation that a presentation exceeds 20 minutes or 10 slides, I'll insert at a logical point a 5-10 minute rest -- Q&A, bathroom break, whatever -- before starting the next set. I'm not always able to hold steadfast to the rule but I always consider it and better have a good reason for exceeding. It's served me well.
Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56