[At-Large] Coping with active participation in At-Large during COVID-19

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue May 5 04:02:04 UTC 2020

Hi Maureen,

My humble and personal take to this is that similar to the fellowship
program, we could consider support to community members who dedicate
significant time and resources to ICANN's mission by contributing to the
work of various supporting organizations and Advisory Commitees and the
overall mission of ICANN. It is true engaging in SO/AC work costs valuable
time for those whose day job may not necessarily be around the DNS
ecosystem.  Significant resources are incurred to get online and to have
the right tools that can enable meaningful participation and contribution
to ICANN's work. I welcome the idea of reimbursing some of the costs
incurred on connectivity or any other aspect as may be determined through a
suitable process considering the continuous nature of the work we are doing.

Best Regards

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:59 PM Maureen Hilyard <maureen.hilyard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear At-Large Community
>
> In all our recent ICANN meetings, the Board and the senior staff have been
> very mindful of the difficulties that are being experienced by the
> volunteer community of At-Large during this pandemic and its impact on
> their ability to participate as regularly as they used to.
>
> During his intervention in the ALAC meeting on  28 April, the At-Large
> appointed Board member, Leon Sanchez, raised his ongoing concerns and asked
> the 70+ participants at the meeting how ICANN might be able to help
> volunteers to continue with their active involvement in the work of
> At-Large and contributing to the bigger picture work of ICANN.
>
> Because he has requested practical and constructive suggestions about how
> ICANN may be able to assist, I am putting this message out to those who
> also already attend online meetings and actively participate and engage,
> even under really trying personal circumstances. I am willing to pass on
> your suggestions to Leon, who will in turn take these to the Board for
> their consideration.
>
> *Please respond only to this thread* before 7 May, so that the full
> account can be passed on to Leon.  I look forward to your thoughtful
> contributions to this matter.
>
> Regards
> Maureen
> ALAC Chair