[At-Large] [BMSPC-2020] Board seat 15 selection

Roberto Gaetano mail.roberto.gaetano at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:13:33 UTC 2019

After repeated failures of my email, I am posting with a new email account, but it is still me, Roberto Gaetano   :-)

I have a different reading than Olivier of both turning points that he mentions. First of all, I am not so negative about the Bildt recommendation. I might agree that the risk of having registrants captured by domaines was a possibility, but I did not see it so dangerous at that time, maybe because I was naif about the potential push from civil society to avoid that.
Also, I am a long time supporter of the approach where “the best is good’s worst enemy” - I assume that you say that in English similarly to how we say in Italian.

A completely different story is my reading of the IAHC vs NewCo proposals. I have been a supporter of the IAHC (actually, I was a member of the POC - Policy Advisory Committee - as well as in the Executive Committee of  CORE - Internet Council of Registrars - so I admit I might have been biased.
I never believed that NewCo would have delivered a “power to the people” solution (neither would have the IAHC, btw), but at least they could have broken NetSol’s monopoly - but even this minimal result was achieved only partly, in the sense that the market share was left almost untouched, but at least there has been a price control (the very thing that is being now released). The Green Paper looked like something that had been put together in a hurry, with the sole purpose of stopping - or slowing down - the IAHC proposal, that with CORE becoming operational as organization at the end of 1997 and with development plans for an SRS ongoing was becoming dangerous. However, the White Paper was different, it showed that there was a serious effort to build an alternative proposal. That was obvious also looking at the financial supporters, organisations like ATT, IBM, etc., letting alone the power of USG. Having worked for 12 years for IBM I have learned two things: they never release centralisation of the power (this is the main reason why their network architecture failed, but this is another story) and they never - or very, very rarely - bet on losers.
So I was convinced that, although the IAHC had the best approach, NewCo would have prevailed in the end, and that it was a mistake not to get involved in that project to try to obtain at least something. This was a minority view in CORE and I ended up in being the only CORE ExCom member to attend the first IFWP meeting in Reston.
Anyway, long story short, had we the IAHC solution in operation, registries would be acting as non-profit, leaving the competition and the commercial aspect to registrars. This also means that we would not have been here discussing about the sellout of a non-profit registry to sa commercial investment fund that will transform it into something different.
But we can’t rewind history.

On one point I fully agree with Olivier. As Chair of the DNSO GA, I can confirm that some of the DNSO mailing lists discussions were indeed toxic.

Cheers,
Roberto