[At-Large] Fwd: ATLASIII Participation

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jul 11 19:12:43 UTC 2019

Transparency does not demand rigidity and enslavement to petty and
arbitrary rules. My comment stands.

As for utility .... The decision of what topics would be top-of-list in
2019, and the right people to participate in them, could not possibly have
been predicted after ATLAS 2. Even raising this as an issue is surprising;
an appeal to such rigidity of process for its own sake that further proves
that ALAC is enslaved by needless process.

You're right this isn't about me, I have other things to do with my
volunteer time and if ALAC is not interested others are. But the fact that
only two people are attending the Summit  from its home region -- across
the whole of the US and Canada -- ought to be an embarrassment to all who
made the criteria and processes that yielded such awful results.

- Evan

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 14:47, John Laprise <jlaprise at gmail.com> wrote:

> No. This is not about petty bureaucracy; this is about setting transparent
> participation rules for a global community. Feel free to disagree about
> ATLASIII utility but that was a discussion that should have been had after
> ATLASII, not now.
>
> Sent from my Pixel 3XL
>
> John Laprise, Ph.D.
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, 1:28 PM Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 13:55, John Laprise <jlaprise at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Evan,
>>>
>>> Simply put, it wasn't about you.
>>>

>> Of course it's not about me. But it *is* emblematic of one of the causes
>> of dysfunction I have repeatedly identified within ALAC: Focus on petty
>> bureaucracy rather than on best use of resources in service to the
>> bylaw-mandated task.
>>
>> I never said that I was surprised at the result. But thanks for helping
>> prove my point.
>>
>> - Evan

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56