[At-Large] ATLASIII Participation

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:05:08 UTC 2019

John,
I am in full agreement with you about the identification of the problem and the need to find a solution that will necessarily include sanctions for the bad behaviours.
However, I think that the problem is complex, and that we need to give some deeper thought about how to solve it.
I am thinking, for instance, that ICANN has a similar problem with fellowship or other programmes that provide travel support. Can we collect information about how ICANN deals with that? Also, I am under the impression that the different participants to fellowship and similar programmes have obligations to fulfil, that their presence is checked, and so on.
We can start making clear that some of these measures might be applied in Montreal - it is not to “control”, but to collect data points. As of today, we do not know to which extent the problem exists - for instance, to the best of my knowledge we did not check attendance at the previous ATLAS.
I have a related - but not completely - question. Now that the selection of the participants who will enjoy travel support has been made, can we remove the limitation to participation to the ATLAS III Programme Committee? Incidentally, although this topic is not fully in scope of that Committee, maybe a first reflection on the topic could be done there?
Thanks,
Roberto