[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Jul 2 01:50:00 UTC 2019

Roberto,

You raise good questions but it may not be one or the other, MSM or
not.

Reforms are possible also.

As are mixed systems which I believe ICANN claimed to be working
towards for at least a while. Isn't that why At Large was formed? It
just never itself much evolved into an "at large" organization and
(probably because of that) never got much influence within ICANN.

Governance structures per se are a complicated topic and it would be
irresponsible for me or anyone else to just off-the-cuff suggest other
structures in a discussion like this.

But I have, at ICANN meetings addressing people involved, for example
suggested their NomCom operate with greater transparency. Such as
listing the candidates as is done with some of the non-NomCom seats
(ASO/AC, IETF.)

TBH it was met with derision and was explained to me like I was a
child why that would be absolutely impossible. Mostly weak reasons as
others listening seemed to agree later. They didn't necessarily agree
with me 100% on every point, but they did agree I was just shrugged
off, "they don't have to answer questions like that, and they won't as
you just saw." In an instant I became Paul Footy.

There must be some middle ground but it would take a lot of thought.

The goal wouldn't be to eliminate the so-called "stakeholders", just
to rebalance the processes.

--
        -Barry Shein