[At-Large] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Planning for Round Two of New gTLDS is open?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Mon Jul 1 21:08:12 UTC 2019

I believe that argument regarding a new TLD round comes down to
quantity vs quality.

Some will argue there are too many TLDs already.

Others will argue that they aren't the right TLDs, that some are
missing*.

Since I find the purpose of many of these TLDs to be very unfocused I
hesitate to suggest any examples. The vast majority seem to become
generic, independent of the superficial meaning of the string.

It's a funny game, part bait & switch -- left handed people deserve
representation with a TLD!, then anyone is allowed to register -- and
part let the market decide in the most Darwinian terms.

The issue of "security and stability of the internet" seems to largely
be reduced to "can the DNS support N more TLDs?" and if so ok the
internet is secure and stable.

* Some won't argue at all other than they believe they missed the
opportunities of the first round and that they can make a nice return
on an investment in a new TLD.

--
        -Barry Shein