[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Jun 28 19:46:46 UTC 2019

On June 28, 2019 at 11:48 morej1 at mac.com (John More) wrote:
 > +1
 >
 > Domain name speculation is very destructive since it requires potential users
 > who have real businesses or needs to jump through hoops and often be blocked
 > from a reasonable domain name.

We (i.e., ICANN) have enabled registries to do this ("premium
domains") with nTLDs.

The counter-argument is that the usual situation is just a fair market
price for the domain. How else do you decide who gets it?

I was jarred once, mildly, when a sunrise registration went from about
$150 (maybe less) to $20,000 because I was about 10 minutes late,
sunrise had expired.

I passed, it was of little value to me beyond that $150.

But that's hardly a "fair market price".

Four years later it's still listed by the registry as a "platinum
domain" (i.e., unsold.)

The fish rots from the head.

--
        -Barry Shein