[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Jun 28 18:42:37 UTC 2019

Here's one, anecdotal, data point:  My first internet company went
online in the mid 1980's.  And our present main company has been on the
internet since around 1993.  We have a three-letter name in .com.   Over
that span of time we have never once found that we had to "jump through
hoops" to acquire a domain name that was being held by another for
speculative purposes.

I can't remember that we ever bought a name from a speculator.

We have, however, found that our competitors have acquired names similar
to our and have picked up names that we have dropped so that they can
try to grab customers or, to a decreasing degree, get advertising
revenue from residual or stray traffic.  I think we once used the UDRP;
and we have had recourse to international trademark law.  But in the
main, we just live with it.

We have, of course, had the usual experience of coming up with a name
idea and found that someone was already using it.  But that's not
speculation, that's just a normal course of affairs.

In other words, over a period of nearly 35 years of business we have not
found domain name speculators an impediment to our business.

In fact we've even benefited by selling some of our names to speculators
- these were names we obtained to pursue some 3-in-the-morning idea that
we abandoned in the light of day. Sometimes these sales were for amounts
big enough to buy a Tesla or two.  I'm pretty sure that in the long run
in most of those instances the speculator lost money.

Do we really want to impose what is in essence a $Billion+ tax on the
internet every year in the form of fiat registry fees above costs in
order to fight some chimera of speculation?

         --karl--