[At-Large] Say Whut!

Sivasubramanian M 6.Internet at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:04:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond <ocl at gih.com>
wrote:

> Dear Nenad,
>
> On 15/12/2018 13:01, Nenad Marinkovic wrote:
>
> And I do not know why we should talk who is more efficient , individuals
> or ALS, we should be on the same side, don’t we? So, fight with ICANN for
> getting better position, not within ALAC
>

> Exactly! One decision that came out of the At-Large Review is that all
> ALSes should accept individual members, and indeed they now do, and this is
> growing fast. The other message we are sharing in EURALO is that we do not
> only wish involvement from the official ALS representative, but from any
> other interested individuals in the ALS - thus the focus is much more on
> individuals. Same for the forthcoming third At-Large Summit: it is the
> individuals that are busy in At-Large that will be invited to apply to
> attend - whether they are from an ALS or independent of an ALS.
>
> The debate about At-Large's short term future is past. This has taken
> place during the At-Large Review. Now what we need to do is to work
> together to strengthen our community and get more influence in ICANN,
> whether in PDPs, CCWG and at Board level - and, dare I say, by also joining
> forces with like-minded other sub-communities in ICANN. Sometimes we might
> align with some of our friends on some topics and be on opposite sides of
> the argument for other topics. What matters is that our policy processes
> need to function and produce tangible outputs that reflect the view of end
> users out there

As usually defined, "to act in the best interests of the average Internet
Users" leaving aside Statistics about the number of Internet Users and any
rationale or the absence of it on how many ALSs it would take to represent
them;  At Large Leadership and ALAC have responsible Members and Leaders
who have done their work with a sense of purpose and will continue to do.
At Large would evolve to be of much greater value than as perceived now.

Sivasubramanian M

> , even if these views might on occasion be unpopular with some other parts
> of ICANN.
>

> Kindest regards,
>

> Olivier

Sivasubramanian M