[At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

Carlos Raul Gutierrez carlosraul at gutierrez.se
Sat Jul 14 13:13:24 UTC 2018

Dear Alan,

this quite an abstract and general definition of regulation. Let's try
to stick to the provision of public goods, and limit the possible
regulatory function to conflicts of interest between the providers of
public goods and the final users. In this case is just the provision of
addressing resources to internet active content providers.

Please if someone has an even narrow definition, put it on the table as
Michele already suggested.

And back to Carlton's initial question on this thread: did the expansion
go too far?????? Did the expansion trick a whole group of agent's wiht
common intersts (.brands) into a bad economic decision?? (my additional
question to Carlton's)

Cheers

---
Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez
carlosraul at gutierrez.se
+506 8837 7176
Aparatado 1571-1000
COSTA RICA

El 2018-07-14 00:14, Alan Greenberg escribió:

> ICANN is *NOT* a regulator, a function that requires government granting of powers. But it does, via contracts, perform regulatory-type functions and controls.
>
> Alan
>
> At 13/07/2018 05:34 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>
>> Every ICANN president has vigorously asserted that ICANN is not a regulator. This is not merely a casual opinion, it is a demand imposed upon them by ICANN's lawyers. To admit that ICANN is a regulator - - or even provides some regulatory function - - is to invite even deeper state scrutiny and attempts to make ICANN into a multilateral, treaty-based body than now exists.
>>
>> In a submission to ICANN's Accountability and Transparency review team more than a decade ago, a number of At-Large members submitted an analysis that called on ICANN to recognize the obvious and embrace its inner regulator:
>>
>> https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-atrt2-02apr13/pdfNKvEtbrZ3u.pdf [1]
>>
>> Not much has changed. While a few references are dated, the paper's observations and commentaries are as valid now as then.
>>
>> ___________________
>> Evan Leibovitch, Toronto
>> @evanleibovitch/@el56
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2018 5:13 PM, "Kan Kaili" <kankaili at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Indeed Goran has said "ICANN is not a regulator" many times.  I have heard him saying that myself.  However, this is something I disagree with him.
>>
>> Again, in my personal opinion, as long as the positioning of ICANN stays blurry as it is now, the confusion will only accumulate until it creats a crisis.
>>
>> Kaili
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Johan Helsingius" <julf at julf.com> To: < at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> Sent: Friday, July 13, 2018 8:33 PM Subject: Re: [At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista
>>
>>> On 12-07-18 19:56, Kan Kaili wrote: >> In my opinion, ICANN should play the role of a regulator. > > Our esteemed CEO, Göran Marby, has a number of phrases he repeats > fairly often. "ICANN is not a regulator" is one of them. > > Julf > > _______________________________________________ > At-Large mailing list > At-Large at atlarge-lists.icann.org > https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/at-large [2] > > At-Large Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org _______________________________________________ At-Large mailing list At-Large at atlarge-lists.icann.org https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/at-large [2]
>>
>> At-Large Official Site: http://atlarge.icann.org

Links:
------
[1]