[At-Large] MEETUP MON: Internet in Venezuela: past, present and future

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Wed Nov 22 20:27:39 UTC 2017

As the city that never sleeps, normally we leave early morning activities
to others - such as our ISOC DC colleagues! Nevertheless, here we will be,
thankfully well rested after the holiday weekend, bright and bushy tailed
on a Monday morning at Civic Hall. We very much appreciate Ms. Perez taking
time out of her schedule to give us this update ​before she heads to Geneva
for the IGF, As noted, there will be a livestream (sorry, no captions).
​​

[image: livestream]
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/venezuela>On *Monday
November 27 201*7 at *9am* ET the *Internet Society New York Chapter
<https://isoc-ny.org/>* will host a breakfast briefing *Internet in
Venezuela: past, present and future
<https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/245252511/>* at *Civic Hall
<http://civichall.org/>* in NYC. According to reports, Venezuela has the
slowest internet in the Western Hemisphere. The government has declared it
a "luxury service" in direct defiance of UN human rights policy, and
restricted development (See *this report
<https://panampost.com/sabrina-martin/2015/09/01/venezuelas-internet-runs-at-snails-pace-by-design/>*.)
The Internet Society's Latin America Bureau has expressed '*deep concern
<https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2017/05/internet-society-deeply-concerned-about-internet-blocking-in-venezuela/>*'
about Internet blocking in the country. *Paola Perez
<https://twitter.com/paoperezc>*, Vice- President of *Internet Society
Venezuela* <https://www.isocvenezuela.org/>, Co-Chair of the *LACNIC Public
Policy Forum, * <http://www.lacnic.net/policy>will use the Venezuela
scenario to explore the "developing country" experience and what users as
stakeholders can do to try to improve it. The event will be webcast live on
the *Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/venezuela>*.

*What: Internet in Venezuela: past, present and future
<https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/245252511/>Where: Civic Hall, 118
West 22nd Street, 12th Fl, NYC
<https://maps.google.com/?q=118+West+22nd+Street,+12th+Fl,+NYC&entry=gmail&source=g>When:
Monday November 27 2017 9:00am-10:30am EST | 14:00-15:30 UTCRegister (to
attend in person): https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/245252511/
<https://www.meetup.com/isoc-ny/events/245252511/>Webcast:
https://livestream.com/internetsociety/venezuela
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/venezuela>**​*
*Twitter: @ISOC_Venezuela http://bit.ly/2A4lKmc <http://bit.ly/2A4lKmc>*

Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9639#respond>    See all comments
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9639#comments>

http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9639

​​

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast