[At-Large] [ALAC-Internal] Hurricane Maria Domain Registration protectionProtocol

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 02:34:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

As Maureen pointed out, this indeed would be a good joint activity of ALAC and ccNSO.  According to the response collected, ccNSO's response is likely to be positive.

On the other hand, it is also true that ICANN's Board cannot order the ccTLDs to do something beyond their contracts.  This reminds me of the multi-stakeholder structure of ISC (Internet Society of China).  Whenever there is something that harms consumers' interest, e.g., spam, the following happens:
- ISC's academic people will go to the media and have it heard.
- In response, a few ISC's industry members will respond with a voluntary solution.
- ISC's scholars will compare different solutions and present a preferred one to ISC.
- A number of ISC's corporate members adopt to this solution and comeup with a joint announcement, e.g., "Anti-Spam Declaration", making it the industry standard.
- ISC will oversee the implementation of this standard, and publicly award industry members for good behaviors.  (Companies not complying will be at a great disadvantage.)
- The ministry (MIIT) closely observes the whole process, provides support, and makes the solution into regulation when it is widely followed.

As ICANN is also a multistakeholder organization, I wonder if we could take a similar approach with ALAC playing the role of ISC or its scholars representing consumers' interests.

As I see it, ccNSO is likely to first adopt to this "distress relief" measure, while GNSO will then have to follow.

Thank you!

Kaili