[At-Large] Godaddy & ICANN Compliance: Port 43 whois

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 09:55:50 UTC 2017

Command line whois on port 43 is being answered AFAICS

McTim$ whois -p 43 -h whois.godaddy.com godaddy.com

Domain Name: GODADDY.COM

Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com

Registrant Name: Domain Administrator

Registrant Organization: Go Daddy Operating Company, LLC

Name Server: CNS1.GODADDY.COM

Name Server: CNS2.GODADDY.COM

Name Server: CNS3.GODADDY.COM

Name Server: A11-64.AKAM.NET

Name Server: A1-245.AKAM.NET

Name Server: A20-65.AKAM.NET

Name Server: A6-66.AKAM.NET

Name Server: A8-67.AKAM.NET

Name Server: A9-67.AKAM.NET

DNSSEC: unsigned

For complete domain details go to:

http://who.godaddy.com/whoischeck.aspx?domain=GODADDY.COM

The data contained in GoDaddy.com, LLC's WhoIs database,

while believed by the company to be reliable, is provided "as is"

with no guarantee or warranties regarding its accuracy.  This

information is provided for the sole purpose of assisting you

in obtaining information about domain name registration records.

Any use of this data for any other purpose is expressly forbidden
without the prior written

permission of GoDaddy.com, LLC.  By submitting an inquiry,

you agree to these terms of usage and limitations of warranty.  In particular,

you agree not to use this data to allow, enable, or otherwise make possible,

dissemination or collection of this data, in part or in its entirety, for any

purpose, such as the transmission of unsolicited advertising and

and solicitations of any kind, including spam.  You further agree

not to use this data to enable high volume, automated or robotic electronic

processes designed to collect or compile this data for any purpose,

including mining this data for your own personal or commercial purposes.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified

in the "registrant" section.  In most cases, GoDaddy.com, LLC

is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 4:46 AM, Derek Smythe <derek at aa419.org> wrote:
> This is exactly the same games being played with other complainants in
> the ITSec sector. Also the reason why this complaint was lodged on
> behalf of numerous parties and in full public view.
>
> It seems it may be appropriate to test the ICANN complaints procedure
> soon if these games are not stopped promptly  as it's undermines
> negotiated stated policies. I have seen numerous unused IP addresses
> similarly filtered.
>
> Derek Smythe
> Artists Against 419
> http://www.aa419.org
>

> On 2017-11-07 09:20 AM, Bill Silverstein wrote:
>>> An edited version of a post I made on the APWG. Certain parts have
>>> been redacted to protect innocent victims. The rest is topical here.
>>>
>>> Certain parties at Godaddy were copied on the original.
>>>
>>> ==============================================================
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if here is anybody on list that can address this issue. I
>>> have lodged an ICANN complaint on it, but this is extremely topical in
>>> doing what we do, fighting fraud as this affects each of us. So I'll
>>> share:
>>>
>>> http://blog.aa419.org/2017/09/08/an-open-letter-to-godaddy-whois-service/#Oct04
>>>
>>> I have reached out to folks in other communities fighting abuse. The
>>> issue is global and complaints are sandbagged.
>>>
>>> To show what a harmful effect this has:
>>>

>> I have been trying to deal with both Godaddy and ICANN about GoDaddy's
>> violation of the RAA requirements to provide port 43 access. The response
>> from Godaddy is that you can go to the web site. ICANN's response is
>>
>> "However, please note that the registrar demonstrated to ICANN it was
>> compliant with its Whois Service obligations at the time the complaint
>> was received in accordance with Section 3.3.5 of the 2013 Registrar
>> Accreditation Agreement (RAA) Additionally, please note, ICANN's authority
>> is purely contractual, and limited to the RAA, the Registry Agreements
>> (RA) and ICANN’s Consensus Policies."
>>
>> What crap!  I had provided the proof, but they ignore it.

Cheers,

McTim
The 'name' of a resource indicates *what* we seek, an 'address'
indicates *where* it is, and a 'route' tells us *how to get there*.