[At-Large] Godaddy & ICANN Compliance: Port 43 whois

Bill Silverstein icann-list at sorehands.com
Tue Nov 7 07:20:00 UTC 2017

> An edited version of a post I made on the APWG. Certain parts have
> been redacted to protect innocent victims. The rest is topical here.
>
> Certain parties at Godaddy were copied on the original.

> I'm not sure if here is anybody on list that can address this issue. I
> have lodged an ICANN complaint on it, but this is extremely topical in
> doing what we do, fighting fraud as this affects each of us. So I'll
> share:
>
> http://blog.aa419.org/2017/09/08/an-open-letter-to-godaddy-whois-service/#Oct04
>
> I have reached out to folks in other communities fighting abuse. The
> issue is global and complaints are sandbagged.
>
> To show what a harmful effect this has:

I have been trying to deal with both Godaddy and ICANN about GoDaddy's
violation of the RAA requirements to provide port 43 access. The response
from Godaddy is that you can go to the web site. ICANN's response is

"However, please note that the registrar demonstrated to ICANN it was
compliant with its Whois Service obligations at the time the complaint
was received in accordance with Section 3.3.5 of the 2013 Registrar
Accreditation Agreement (RAA) Additionally, please note, ICANN's authority
is purely contractual, and limited to the RAA, the Registry Agreements
(RA) and ICANN’s Consensus Policies."

What crap!  I had provided the proof, but they ignore it.