[At-Large] WT5

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro sala at pasifikanexus.nu
Tue Oct 31 01:38:09 UTC 2017

Dear All,

   1. Noting that the WT5 Track is on November 1 and post Tatiana's call on
   the NCSG listserv for those who are interested to join the discussions, I
   signed up.
   2. There is no archived mailing list as the work of the WT5 will
   commence on the November 1. I also sought clarification from Martin, the
   co-chair of the WT5 where there were any archived discussions with which to
   catch up on.
   3. A friend on the GAC recently posted a picture at Abu Dhabi stating
   that the GAC had published another  consensus statement on the AMAZON. I am
   still waiting to see the actual published statement.
   4. In any event, noting that the WT5 will seek to focus on *the
   treatment of geographical names at the Top Level.*
   5. Below in "blue" is the first email, I sent the Mailing List on WT5.
   All discussions are archived and publicly available via
   http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5/
   <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5/>
   6. Given that November 1, 2017 is almost at the door, I decided to send
   the email and to also show you a "copy" of what I sent.
   7. If from my list, you feel that there are other things, I should read
   up on, that transpired, please let me know.
   8. I would also be interested to see previous ALAC statements on the
   "geographical names" issue, or perhaps you could point me to a link and I
   could browse through. [Dev and Carlton???] Feel free to email me off list.

Dear All,

Warm Greetings from Fiji! I trust that you are all well at the ICANN 60
meeting in Abu Dhabi. I note that there is a meeting on November, 1st
for Work Track 5 (WT5) of the GNSO Subsequent Procedures PDP WG. Thank you
Martin for opening the call for Volunteers in your capacity as co-Leader
for WT5.

As a matter of introduction, my name is Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro and
usually called Sala. Many years ago, I served on the ALAC. I am a member of
the At Large Community by virtue of my membership of two accredited At
Large Organizations one an ISOC Chapter and the other the South Pacific
Computer Society. I am also a member of the Non Commercial Stakeholder
Group (NCSG). I currently serve on the Multistakeholder Advisory Group
(MAG) that assists the IGF Secretariat and Host Governments in convening
the Internet Governance Forums.

   1. I come with an open mind to learn from each of you on the Track and
   also to exchange views and seek ways to focus on the treatment of
   geographic names at the top-level.
   2. I was wondering what subsequently transpired following the* Independent
   Review  *
   ICDR No. 01-16-0000-7056 in July 2017 via International Dispute
   Resolution between Amazon and ICANN, post the Review
   <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/irp-amazon-final-declaration-11jul17-en.pdf>
   .
   3. Noting the ICANN Board Resolution
   <https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2017-09-23-en#2.e>
on
   the 23rd of September, 2017 and the Resolution Text
   <https://features.icann.org/consideration-amazon-eu-s%C3%A0rl-v-icann-independent-review-process-final-declaration>
   .
   4. Historical Overview
   <http://aodigitalhub.com/2017/10/23/icann-reconsider-amazon-domain-applications/>
by
   David Stone on the Amazon saga.
   5. Noting that one of the pillars and core of Amazon's Argument lies in
   the interpretation of the TRIPS Agreement where they argue that there can
   be no "false claims" to geographical names.
   6. Clearly, there are many things to learn from each other in the Work
   Track, noting that interest in this topic and divergent views express
   across the ICANN community.
   7. On this list, I personally do not represent the views of the
   constituencies, I belong to and so the views expressed in this Track will
   largely be my personal views unless otherwise expressed. Community views
   obviously will need endorsement from within the communities.
   8. I am looking forward to the calls and dialogue that will focus on the
   treatment of geographic names on the top level.
   9. If there are any key things I have missed that you think would be
   worth reading, please let me know.
   10. Have a good day or evening wherever in the world you are. :)

Kind Regards,
Sala

Many thanks,
Sala