[At-Large] [ALAC] Idea for an alternative to the EMM proposed in the At-Large Review

Winthrop Yu w.yu at gmx.net
Wed Feb 15 23:19:31 UTC 2017

On 2/16/2017 4:30 AM, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> Overall like I earlier hinted, I recognise the individual membership
> challenge in the current structure ...

   Focusing on this particular point, perhaps we can summarize some alternatives
that are already currently available for direct *individual* participation ...

   Others have already noted (or indicated that they wished to have) [a] Some
RALOs already accept individual members. It is also true that currently: [b]
Some ALSes (including some ISOC chapters) accept members from outside the ALS'
home country; and [c] some ALSes (or ISOC chapters) do not yet currently charge
membership fees.

   As an example, given [b] and [c] above - it is possible for an individual (or
even a group) from any country to 'virtually' join, say, ISOC-PH, then introduce
various ICANN and At-Large matters for consideration. Whether the local members
of such an ALS (or chapter) will follow the lead and engage on ICANN/At-Large
issues is not guaranteed. But given the perennial shortage of active
knowledgable people, there is a good chance that the local ALS will take-up some
of the 'expat's' initiatives. It will depend more on whether the topics
introduced are relevant to the locals, and whether the positions arrived at
align with the local sense on the matter in question.

   It is, of course, also very possible that the 'guest' individual will have to
do most of the work and go it alone, at least initially. As an option for
'virtual' individual participation, this is, at least, doable now. And, if
actually executed, has the additional benefit of the 'expat' acting as a mentor
and building awareness if not capacity within the 'host' ALS.

Possible?

WYn