[At-Large] [Chapter-delegates] New version of ICANN At-Large Review - ISOC Chapters role and future

CW Mail mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Sun Feb 12 19:51:39 UTC 2017

Dear Karl, Dear Olivier:

I have read your comments. Thankyou. Even at this distance in  time, I do recall aspects of the 2000 elections, although I do not share either Olivier's disparagement nor Karl's optimism.
(In the event I did vote as an individual member, albeit for an unsuccessful candidate.)

As things stand at present, the main point must be that the Review's EMM proposal is not a good option. It is a half-way-house that would quickly satisfy no one.
ICANN will have to decide whether we now accept the prospect of large numbers of individual members with appropriate representation on the Board.
Individual members of At Large who are then denied full participation as members of ICANN would become an inherently unstable situation.

Meanwhile there are several ways to improve on At Large and ALAC, some of which have been identified in the Review report.

In the 2003 reform of ICANN, the Board members elected by individual members were not replaced by At Large, they were replaced by Directors appointed by the Nominating Committee.
In recent years, successive Nominating Committees appear to have lost sight of their obligation to appoint fully independent representatives of the interests of individual Internet users, world wide.
The membership of NomCom should be reviewed with this in view.

Thus, in the short term the issue is not reform of At Large, but reform of NomCom. Even more so today since NomCom has acquired additional responsibilities for PTI etc.

In the longer term, I would not be against an individual membership model for ICANN, but that would have to go with strong internal rules that guaranteed global balance and diversity, which would not be straightforward, indeed probably quite difficult.

Regards

CW