[At-Large] R: IGO names: is this worth war?

Johan Helsingius julf at julf.com
Sun Nov 6 18:34:45 UTC 2016

Evan,

> The GNSO -- domain buyers and sellers divorced from the realities of the
> rest of the world

I really don't know why you keep repeating that mantra. You know
just as well as I that the GNSO is not just "domain buyers and sellers".
The non-contracted parties house, half of GNSO, consists of
people who *don't* represent domain business.

> ​As Barry noted, ICANN was alerted about the IGO issue in 2011.​ The
> current outrage at bypassing process conveniently forgets that once upon
> a time they tried to play the game by the usual rules and were blown
> off. So the conventional process failed.

Yes, the conventional process failed, but we seem to disagree about
the reasons for that failure. I seem to remember that the GNSO NPOC
constituency was specifically created for the IGO's, but they lost
interest as soon as they discovered that it was easier to ask the GAC
and the ICANN board to help them instead.

	Julf