[At-Large] Fwd: [IANA-issues] Fwd: TRANSITION - FOR US CITIZEN REPRESENTATIVES OF THE NCSG (Typo corrected version, with apology)

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Fri Sep 9 11:31:21 UTC 2016

Brexit vote shows that last minute mass market education of complex
issues and realities is likely futile in the face of political rage and
opportunism. That work should have been prioritised in 2000 and again on
ICANNs reforms over the last decade.

My personal view is that the best way to have stabilised this is for
Internet users to have direct participation in IP and Domain allocations
they use. But Internet users have been pushed so far from having a
direct say in their domain names or IP address allocations by ICANN,
IANA, RIRs and LIRs that their very disengagement now risks the edifice
that has been built by for those who kept them out.

Christian

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

> On 09/09/2016 11:58, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>>
>> At very least, ICANN should have by now come up with an education
>> program that explained what is proposed, and why this is a good
>> thing, in a form understandable by *everyone*. Perhaps there is a
>> fear that, once explained in simple terms, the proposed transition
>> will actually attract more public opposition than support. This fear
>> is justified.
>
> I'd say ICANN plus IETF plus the RIRs should have done that. I haven't
> seen anything such. Anyone?
>
> Olivier

Christian de Larrinaga  FBCS, CITP,
@ FirstHand