[At-Large] Fwd: [IANA-issues] Fwd: TRANSITION - FOR US CITIZEN REPRESENTATIVES OF THE NCSG (Typo corrected version, with apology)

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Sep 9 09:58:10 UTC 2016

On one hand, I have no intention of denigrating the massive amounts of work
and end-user perspective that Olivier and the rest of our team have
contributed to the IANA transition effort.

I suspect, however, that circumstances over which none of us has control
have taken over. If the success of all this comes down to American
supporters of ICANN writing their politicians, it's already lost.

Those outside the bubble are exacting their revenge. Senator Cruz is
despised by most other members of Congress, yet here he realizes that he
has latched onto an issue in which he can find popular support, and he is
riding as far into the headlines as he can.

I can't fault Cruz for exploiting the situation, because ICANN has made
itself the easiest of targets. It has no friends outside of its own bubble
in the US or anywhere else, and has only itself to blame for the current
situation:

   - In refusing to acknowledge its role as a regulator
   - In allowing itself to be captured by the industry it is charged to
   oversee, but upon which it is now financially dependent
   - In asserting opaque processes that require legal action to inspect
   - In relegating the voice of the billions of Internet users to a
   sideline position when it should be front-and-centre
   - In resisting the participation of governments who are then expected to
   respect its outcomes

The message from Ed Morris that Olivier copies exhorts Americans to, in
their pleas to Congress, identify themselves as members of the ICANN
community.

How can that help? Congress already knows that those inside the bubble love
the process that they designed. What Congress doesn't know is what people
*outside* the bubble are thinking. Or if they even care.

At very least, ICANN should have by now come up with an education program
that explained what is proposed, and why this is a good thing, in a form
understandable by *everyone*. Perhaps there is a fear that, once explained
in simple terms, the proposed transition will actually attract more public
opposition than support. This fear is justified.

- Evan

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH

Em: evan at telly dot org