[At-Large] On a "consumer" agenda for ICANN

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Sep 5 09:27:03 UTC 2016

I think the main issue of accountability stems from a fundamental lack of
public understanding on "accountable to whom? and how to assert this?"

At a macro level, The inability of ICANN to simply explain to whom it is
accountable who is a major problem that feeds the conspiracy theories of
Senator Cruz and others. As it has been until now, the US government
exercised stunningly little oversight until now, amounting to Strickling
writing a (sometimes mildly scolding) letter in advance of ICANN meetings
but otherwise not getting in the way no matter what shenanigans the org
would do (such as engage in this predictably massive failure of a gTLD
expansion and contemplating another).

So now, even the scolding letter is going away, replaced by .... what? An
oversight group, populated mostly by the industry ICANN should be
overseeing, with the power to remove rogue Board members (perhaps Directors
who might assert the public interest even if doing so diminishes ICANN).
Maybe this is wildly inaccurate conclusion, but it's what I -- a not
totally unsophisticated observer viewing from a distance -- can glean in
simplest terms. There is very much of an "inmates are running the asylum"
feel to it all.

At a micro level, the ability for non-registrant end-users to complain
successfully to ICANN (on wholly in-scope issues such as bad WHOIS) appears
laughable. ICANN, by corporate culture, sides with those who contribute to
its revenue over those who threaten it. As Derek has documented, "the
registrant/registrar has responded to your complaint" appears sufficient
reason for ICANN to force a complaint closed, even if the remedial action
is totally unacceptable to the complainant. Even the Ombudsman can be
unsympathetic, impotent and/or overwhelmed. Here too, ICANN appears only
accountable to itself.

As for its communications -- one of the best ways ICANN can serve the
public, as mentioned in my original email -- the information ICANN produces
is written to pander to the audience that already knows it. There is no
effort made to explain ICANN, its processes, or consumer help in ways the
otherwise-disinterested billions of Internet users need to understand. This
is partially due to the real challenge of simple explanation, but also IMO
the fear that -- stripped of jargon and self-interested language -- the
explanation of how and why ICANN does what it does would be a public
embarrassment.

Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH

Em: evan at telly dot org