[At-Large] IGF Germany

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:20:25 UTC 2016

Thanks for sharing this Kaili.  The structure of the ISC is not new to me,
seeing it was already explained by our colleague and friend Hong Xue time
before now.  What it means to be multistakeholder and the way it is
operationalized around the globe remains ever interesting......and
controversial.

In my part of the world any participation with governments in an
organisation is suspect and according to some of our doorkeepers who
interpret the ICANN vision of stakeholderism, inherently not
multi-stakeholder. Some have even gone as far to say if an individual is a
public employee or a business owner, then that individual is compromised
and cannot represent end user interests.

I have always found that view not only illiberal but the thinking
hopelessly backward. For depending on the time of day and activity, I
myself can be an academic, a small business owner, an adviser to
governments, a civil society advocate and all round skeptic.

I live. And the more I learn, the more I doubt.

-Carlton

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799