[At-Large] R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Apr 26 20:41:37 UTC 2016

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch <apisan at unam.mx> [2016-04-26 20:12:48 +0000]:
> just to know what to compare this with, can you point to the equivalent association in India?

I don't believe one exists.

However India is a country with hardly any registries.  León and Vanda
seemed to suggest that in a country with many registries the situation
would be different, with the registries being in a position to unify in
opposition to governmental overreach.

I see no evidence of that having happened in the USA, but León and Vanda
might prove me wrong.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh