[At-Large] R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Apr 26 18:42:25 UTC 2016

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> [2016-04-26 12:44:06 -0400]:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:
>> But in the final ICG report, there is no explanation (I know, I searched) as
>> to why the jurisdiction-related concerns raised in those submissions (as
>> part of WS1 and as part of the ICG's mandate) were deemed sufficiently
>> unimportant so as not to merit discussion or reflection in the report.
>

> I think you are being disingenous here, you know full well the
> conditions on the outcome of the process set by DoC.
>

> Insisting on changing jurisdiction would have scuttled the entire transition.

I argued with Milton at the 2015 IGF on this very point.

If this was a condition, then it should have been stated.  I can't see
anywhere that the NTIA/DoC has stated this as a condition.

What is the point of having this (illegitimate) condition, and then
pretending that "we" the "global" "multistakeholder" "community" have
actually decided the fate of ICANN.

If the emperor is wearing no clothes, I see no point in pretending
otherwise.

> Or was that your goal?

What an asinine question.  Even if rhetorical, it does you disservice.

Is the goal of someone who is calling for true independence rather than
a fig leaf of independence the scuttling of independence?

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh