[At-Large] R: R: Is ICANN's oversight really moving away from the US government?

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Apr 26 15:31:35 UTC 2016

Dear León,
Unfortunately, that kind of collective opposition might sound good in
theory but didn't happen in practice.  No registry challenged the US
government on their domain name seizures, nor or on allied efforts such
as SOPA/PIPA.  Verisign, the gorilla in the room, most definitely did
not oppose either bill.  A quick search on Google doesn't reveal PIR
having opposed SOPA either:
https://www.google.co.in/search?num=30&q=sopa+site%3Apir.org&oq=sopa+site%3Apir.org

Further, given the current state of US fedearl law as interpreted by
courts in Maryland, SOPA is not needed at all:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vaHrheCn_2sJ:www.techspot.com/news/47634-no-need-for-sopa-verisign-seizes-bodogcom-for-us-authorities.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

https://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/at-large/2012q1/001444.html

Not only does the US have the largest number of registries and
registrars, they also have the largest registries and registrars,
meaning the largest number of domains in the world are — per US
authorities — subject to seizures.

Regards,
Pranesh

León Felipe Sánchez Ambía <leonfelipe at sanchez.mx> [2016-04-26 08:19:07