[At-Large] CCWG Briefings - Presentation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Mar 6 04:18:26 UTC 2016

On Saturday 05 March 2016 10:04 PM, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> The A-root, that is the master file from where the zone files are
> distributed to the other roots, is not "owned" by ICANN, but operated
> by Verisign under contract with the US administration, and that, to
> the best of my knowledge, is not going to change after the transition.

I agree Roberto, that is still the catch. And a big one! This is
something the US deliberately kept out of the transition process, a
smart move I must say, since US, unlike the so called 'global
multistakeholder community', knows and closely watches and protects its
interest.

So basically, unlike what is the popular message that goes out, post
transition the US still remains in complete control of the authoritative
root file (it is now just not  able to give any directions any more to
ICANN  reg. its policy work etc).

> The process is that the ICANN Board directs IANA to do the changes (in
> case, for instance, of a new TLD to be added), the changes are
> performed by IANA who sends them to Verisign.

Yes, but a Verisign answerable to the US, and not ICANN. And this does
not change, right! So, in essence, what is being said is that IANA
authorised changes really still go to the US gov which, and this is
important to note, is under no obligation to do as IANA wants (other
than perhaps the downstream pressure of possible non-replication by
other root operators, an issue that I will come to later).

> This transfer is the one where NTIA intervenes to validate the change,
> and it is this function that has to be replaced, not at all the
> management of the A-root, that will remain where it is.

Frankly, this seems to be a rather formal and not a real substantive
difference. Lets say, in the pre IANA transition stage, the US gov had
refused to validate a requested change -- there would have been an
outcry, it would have been considered illegitimate, outrageous, and so
on..... Now, lets take the post IANA transition situation. IANA
transmits a root change request to A root manager, Verisign, but
meanwhile the US gov, under whose contract verisign operates A-root,
instructs verisign not to make those changes.. What happens, the same
outrage, allegation of illegitimacy, and so on... Could someone really
tell me, where is the difference?  And please not in, what often becomes
deliberately obfuscating, techno-managerial language, but in direct
political language. I am sure no one has the illusion  reg. IANA
transition being a techno-managerial  and not a political issue. I hope
we stay within that construction.

I am sure I am going to hear pious statements about how US would never
do it, it never has (which btw is contestable, but lets not go there).
Sure. But if the US is really so pious *why, when it was divesting
itself from other stuff, it did not also divest itself of control over
the authoritative A-root?* Could someone answer this question for me. I
really look forward to read what new spin is thrown in to respond to
this :).

Another stock response that I expect to hear is - US wont do it bec it
should fear that other root operators would not follow suit... But that
check was always there, even earlier, against US refusing to validate an
ICANN root change request... So nothing changes, right!

A policy making power is meaningful only to the extent that there is
policy implementation power. Minus the latter, the former is
meaningless. What stops, say, my organisation from making gTLD policies?
The simply fact that I cannot implement them, which requires control
over the authoritative A-root. Without the control over the A-root,
ICANN's policy making power, and its so called (anticipated) new
'independence', are meaningless. It exists as long as US allows it to
exist. Which one must say is a rather pitiable situation.

I think that this group - ALAC, which sits between a techno-political
set up and the larger public, and is supposed to represent the latter's
interest, has the responsibility to interpret the politics of these
techno- managerial and political changes for the public in intelligible
terms, and most of all show clearly where power lies, what are its
legitimate forms, and what and where power goes or does not go post
transition. Sorry to say, but I dont think we have been doing a very
good job of it.

regards
parminder