[At-Large] R: R: I: [ALAC-Announce] Meeting Invitation - Civil Society Engagement Approach: Call to discuss Implementation

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 14 12:18:46 UTC 2015

Indeed.
I believe though that the only key issue is the presence or not of
commercial organizations.
"Technical" organizations should not be a concern, as there are such type of
bodies not only in ALAC, but also in the NCUC, so that should not justify
disparity of treatment.
Just a couple of examples:
- NIC Senegal (www.nic.sn)
- Swathanthra Malayalam Computing (http://smc.org.in)
both in NCUC without this being considered a problem.
Same for academic institutions, like:
- KAIST (http://www.kaist.edu/)
- EDUCAUSE (http://www.educause.edu/)

Let's be clear.
I am in favour of an inclusive interpretation of the criteria for Civil
Society. If we want to allow only the bodies that are strictly doing just
advocacy for the public interest, we have to exclude indeed many of our
ALSes, but by the same token we must exclude some part of the members of the
NCSG as well, with the result that we will have to create a sort of internal
filtering and verification mechanism, that will be a nightmare to implement
and maintain.
In my opinion, it is the role of the umbrella organizations (NCUC, NPOC,
ALAC) to guarantee that their respective membership has activities that
remain strictly in the non-profit domain, with the assumption that if the
purpose is not making profit, the effect is to act for the benefit of the
community. It is not an "advocacy" of civil rights per-se, and might well
not match a strictly defined "Civil Society", but the effect is to work for
the community not by talking, but by acting concretely. Which (but I might
be biased by my background) has even more value and more effectiveness for
the society at-large.

Cheers,
Roberto