[At-Large] I: [ALAC-Announce] Meeting Invitation - Civil Society Engagement Approach: Call to discuss Implementation

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:14:11 UTC 2015

I will be unable to attend the call, but I read the doc and I have one point
that I believe is important.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about ALAC and the ALSes: either
myself, or ICANN staff, have it wrong.

I see an ICANN staff comment saying:

Been pointed out that some ALS represent business interests, some technical,
some may consider their organizations multistakeholder, and of course some
civil society, noting "Not for profit organizations that serve for
profit/commercial interests would not be within scope"

Now, reading the criteria for ALS certification, I see:

If an organisation receives corporate or government funding or has members
who are government agencies or for-profit entities such members are allowed,
provided such members do not interfere with, direct, or otherwise affect the
mission, purpose or operations of the organisation

This, to me, means that no ALS would “serve for profit/commercial
interests”, because that would be violating certification criteria. If any
ALS has members that are representing either governments or for-profit
entities, these must be in such position not to affect the mission, purpose
or operations of the ALS itself. Therefore, the ALS, when certified, is
guaranteed not to be promoting for-profit or government agendas.

Can we have this straightened up once and for good?

Alternatively, may I know which are the At-Large Structures that allegedly
“represent business interests”?

Cheers,

Roberto