[At-Large] Fwd: [] Final Issue Report on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Dec 11 20:11:05 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 07:05 AM, John R. Levine wrote:

> Havinng looked at about 1/3 of the applications, a lot of the new gTLDs
> had plans that can be summarized as create .FOOBAR TLD for the foobar
> community, get millions of registrations, PROFITS!!!

I agree with you.  Profits are nice to have, even essential.  And I
agree further that many of the new TLDs have very little that
differentiates them from .com/.net/.org/ etc.  (we know that for
technical reasons that we do want the DNS tree to spread wider near the
top, but that's not relevant to this topic.)

ICANN's rules have made real innovation in names very difficult, if not
impossible.  ICANN is like Henry Ford and his comment that his customers
can order any color they want, as long as it is black.

For example, consider this TLD offering that would be impossible under
ICANN rules, but which in no way would violate any written and broadly
practiced internet technical standard:

http://cavebear.com/eweregistry/

		--karl--