[At-Large] Fwd: [] Final Issue Report on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Thu Dec 10 15:07:07 UTC 2015

Olivier,

further:

provisions for registry failure were considered since the "first round" of new gTLDs, so they are part of ICANN's DNA by now.

At that time the mindset change was significant: from "immanent", structural gTLDs to the admission that some of them would be run as businesses and be able to succeed and fail in a market.

But then, even countries could appear and disappear and so their TLDs. Witness .yu and .su for deprecation, .me or .ps for creation.

Re "something must be done", what is so special about consumers of domain names that is totally inexistent in consumer behavior and rights? Solutions - if there is indeed a problem - should be mapped from a successful, global consumers union... if you can find one. When you try to do that you will be setting foot on a well-trodden road. I think this was already discussed in the 1990's. I hope someone can better identify the problem and a solution that has eluded us for almost two decades now (or realizes there isn't that much that can be done, and that ICANN's mechanisms, very much shaped by users' concerns, already cover a lot of the intersection between what can be desired and what can be done.

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO SMS +525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org