[At-Large] At-Large Use of Country and Territory Names as Top Level Domains

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:55:19 UTC 2015

Hi Evan,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Evan Leibovitch <evanleibovitch at gmail.com>
wrote:

> At its core, this is about putting public property (ie,
> ​an ​
> existing international standard) in pr
> ​oprietary​
> hands

Is it?  I'm not seeing it.  It DOES mean that 3 letter codes could be used
as gTLD (the ccTLD manager could apply as well and use it as a psuedo-ccTLD
if they wanted).

Nation States do not OWN the codes, or the standard (ISO).  Nation States
have, in theory, asserted authority over 2 letter ccTLDs, but in practice
that hasn't always been the case in practice.

The Tunis Agenda that asserted sovereignty is a non-binding agreement.

> ... like having a
> ​ troll
>  trying to assert copyright on the flags of the world.
>
> ​The fact that there are exceptions to reservation of the standard (.com,
> .uk)​ does not negate the validity of the standard going forward. Going
> after it will simply diminish trust in ICANN even below its current awful
> levels, and at some point this diminishing trust will affect DNS stability.

red-herring IMHO.

> As for the GACophobia...

I am not GAC phobic, I just want them to understand their role and not
assert more authority than they have on paper.

In practice, they have done end-arounds to implement the blocking of
thousands of strings at the second level without appropriate GNSO action as
just one example of how they would like to have more power.

> ​f​
> ine. As Olivier suggests, punt it to the ccNSO first and see what they
> think. That's critical feedback to this issue.

Why?  The ccNSO doesn't have ALL cc's as Member's nor do they have
authority over 3 letter codes.  This would be a radical shift done without
a PDP.

--
Cheers,

McTim