[At-Large] [ALAC] [ALAC-Announce] CALL FOR COMMENTS: ALAC Statement on the Draft Report: Review of the Generic Names Supporting Organization

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Wed Jul 22 22:02:25 UTC 2015

Olivier

I have an observation based on the observation in the Westlake
materials. The case is made that the GNSO is largely North American or
European and male. Quite a bit of the follow on has been discussing how
to increase participation from a broader section of the global community
and so on, and whether GNSO has really engaged with that as a core
agenda. All very worthy and important.

What is not mentioned or if it is has, is buried in the vast amount of
guff; is that the entire gtld process in recent years has been dominated
by the views, interests and expectations of that "constituency".

What would I think be a useful response for an At Large body to make is
to ask (remind) how many gtld registries and tld's are domiciled both
legally and operationally in each of the ICANN regions both before and
after the recent expansion of gtld space under the GNSO's auspices.

The underlying question to ask is whether the Westlake report may reveal
a hidden pattern that ICANN GNSO is self-reinforcing the domain name
business geo politically and whether that is underpinning the Westlake
observation of the concentration of the GNSO constituency as North
American and European. If so that would have deep consequences for ICANN
to work towards a more balanced global distribution if gtld's are to be
perceived as a global resource.

best

Christian

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> just a kind reminder, a few hours away from the At-Large Comments closing.
> I have heard in corridors that some people were concerned about the lack
> of overall review of the GNSO's structure and most of the
> recommendations focussed on GNSO Working Groups and small adjustments
> rather than taking a serious look at the GNSO's bicameral structure.
> Yet, I have not seen any actual written confirmation of this concern
> here. Could you please all take a short moment to write your concerns,
> if any, that should be part of an overall comment that falls outside the
> (narrow) scope of the actual recommendations made by Westlake Consultants?
> Kindest regards,
>
> Olivier
>

> On 16/07/2015 08:00, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> of particular interest, is identifying what is *missing* from the
>> Review. Suggestions welcome.
>> Kindest regards,
>>
>> Olivier
>>
>> On 16/07/2015 03:00, ICANN At-Large Staff wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Alan Greenberg, Chair of the ALAC, has asked that a call for comments
>>> be made on the draft ALAC Statement on the Draft Report: Review of
>>> the Generic Names Supporting Organization
>>> <https://community.icann.org/x/35U0Aw> in preparation for the start
>>> of the ALAC ratification process.
>>>
>>> The current draft, as well as additional information on the Public
>>> Comment, can be found on the wiki workspace
>>> here: <https://community.icann.org/x/35U0Aw>https://community.icann.org/x/35U0Aw.
>>>
>>> Please submit any comments on the workspace using the comments
>>> function by* 22 July 2015 23:59 UTC*.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Gisella Gruber, Nathalie
>>> Peregrine and Terri Agnew
>>> ICANN Policy Staff in support of ALAC
>>> E-mail: <mailto:staff at atlarge.icann.org>staff at atlarge.icann.org
>>> Facebook: <https://www.facebook.com/icann.atlarge>www.facebook.com/icann.atlarge