[At-Large] Questions about Specification 11 of ICANN Registry Agreement

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:38:06 UTC 2015

Dear Thomas,

Just to give some background regarding Specification 11 :

Specification 11 was first introduced by the ICANN Board (via the New gTLD
Program Committee (NGPC) in mid 2013 in response to GAC advice from Beijing
in 2013 (see GAC communiques at ) re: gTLD strings under Category II.

GAC Beijing Communique:
https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/GAC+Announcement+Archive
ICANN Board Resolution:
https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-new-gtld-2013-06-25-en#2.c

There was several further communication about whether this was enough to
implement the GAC advice from Beijing from the Buenos Aries meeting in 2013.

The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America (UOJCA) filed an
objection to the gTLD application by Kosher Marketing Assets, LLC to
.KOSHER.
UOJCA lost the objection and filed a reconsideration request in early 2014
based in part on the objection panel's interpretation of Specification 11.
The reconsideration request can be found at
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/14-4-2014-02-14-en and the documents
therein will be informative as to the interpretation of Specification 11

Dev Anand