[At-Large] (IANA Issues) Fwd: monitoring of other mailing lists // volunteers needed

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Sep 10 10:51:39 UTC 2014

Dear ALAC & At-Large members,

as you know, our IANA Issues WG is supporting the ALAC's two
representatives on the IANA Coordination Group which will collect plans
from operational communities to transition the role of the stewardship
of IANA from the US Government.

This was one of the hottest topics at last week's Internet Governance
Forum in Istanbul.

Our IANA Issues WG has been active mostly to support our representatives
and to reach consensus on ALAC input for the charter of the coordination
group as well as its request for proposals.

The work is now migrating to the operations communities of IANA functions:
1. IETF for Protocols
2. Regional Internet Registries (all 5 of them) for the IP addresses
3. ICANN's community for the names

In (3), a cross community working group will soon open up. The charter
is ready and will be voted on shortly by all Supporting Organisations &
Advisory Committees.

However, with work starting in (1) and (2), the At-Large IANA Issues WG
does not have enough volunteers to take part in discussions in those
fora. Individuals participating in those fora would not be At-Large
representatives and would instead be acting in their own individual
capacity, as per the rules of these mailing lists. However, I am hoping
that if we have volunteers from our community participating in these
external processes, they will be able to relate back to us on a regular
basis and will focus heavily on taking input and advice from our community.

Please be so kind to let staff and I know if you would like to
volunteer. This is a critical process at the moment and is limited in
both scope and time. (1 year max)

Kindest regards,

Olivier