[At-Large] [ALAC] Fwd: A million domains taken down by email checks

John Levine john.levine at cauce.org
Mon Jul 7 01:22:13 UTC 2014

> Some of these resellers are unscrupulous, some are just incompetent,
> some for whatever reason leave the business.

Well, sure.  Indeed, the reason I became a domain reseller was because it
was easier than repeatedly rescuing friends and clients from all of the
random nitwits they'd picked to register domains.

There are dozens of ways an incompetent provider can make your service
fail, with the most common being failure to pay someone else, and we
expect people to deal with it.  What is there about screwing up the
contact email that makes it special?  I expect that a lot more than 0.6%
of domains are suspended for failure to pay.

Regards,
John Levine, john.levine at cauce.org
CAUCE North America