[At-Large] World Press Freedom Day

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri May 2 21:26:54 UTC 2014

Dear All,

As we celebrate World Press Freedom Day, I pay tribute to all the journalists who have lost their lives or been imprisoned, for their role in reporting. The Press no doubt have always held an edge in shaping popular opinion by virtue of their reach. Whilst the Internet has leveled the playing field by virtue of its ubiquitous nature and enabled ordinary men, women, boys, girls to "free" their stories via the internet through social media, one cannot discount the power of the "written word" or "picture" and "sound".

Countries still have a long way to go on Press Freedom as the Press is still stifled in certain parts of the world. For indicators, see: http://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-press-2014/press-freedom-numbers#.U2P4DimLRHc.twitter

As we celebrate the Day, the themes that come to the fore of my reflections include:
1)Freedom of Expression
2)The Responsibility to Report Ethically (in a manner that allows the intended audience in developing a clear 3D perspective on whatever issues
3)The value of securing the newsworthy item has a cost on someone's life security etc.
4)The need for societies to mature to fully embrace the role of a free press
5)The wisdom needed for local, domestic press in reaching out to diverse stakeholders to educate people on the need to be free and informed.

The Internet Governance forums and debates provide an excellent platform to enable and facilitate outreach, dialogue and discussion as it brings stakeholders to the table to discuss critical issues.

To all the journalists subscribed to the At Large list, here's wishing you an excellent day!

With every best wish,
Sala

Sent from my iPad