[At-Large] situation in Ukraine

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 19:49:51 UTC 2014

Oksana,

It is interesting to note from the Washington Post article that  "It is
served by many ISPs with many independent terrestrial connections to
neighboring countries. Due to this, it would be difficult to have a
national blackout in a place like Ukraine."  Perhaps in Ukraine, the ISP
have a certain degree of independence, sufficient for them to hold on,
despite political directives, if any. It is also possible that anyone who
has considered a National blackout has also considered the unpredictable
outcome of such a shutdown, that of wider and more intense protests
resulting from a shutdown of the Internet infrastructure. Someone from
Egypt was talking about such an effect at the European Summer School 2009,
that people, who were otherwise not part of protests, came out to the
streets when the Internet was shut down, so the Authorities restored the
Internet :) Could that be one of the reasons why Internet is not blocked in
Ukraine?

Sivasubramanian M

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Oksana Prykhodko <sana.pryhod at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am sorry for any off-topick or wrong-doing. I received so many questions
> and letters of support, that I decided to send you these two excellent
> materials in English regarding situation in Ukraine.
>
> The first one is the official information of US Embassy in Moscow, and the
> second one is the article in Washington Post on Internet access in Ukraine
> and Crimea.
>
> http://moscow.usembassy.gov/settingrecordstraight.html
>

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/03/ukraine-is-in-turmoil-but-its-still-online-heres-why/
>
> And once again - I am safe, thank you all very-very much!
>
> Best regards,
> Oksana

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
India +91 99524 03099