[At-Large] Fwd: Quick Look at Strategy Panel Recommendations - Provide Your Comments Today | ICANN
carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 15:01:40 UTC 2014
FYI, David [Olive] has provided a useful service; a single communique that
consolidates all the Strategy Panel reports.
Carlton A Samuels
*Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*
25 February 2014
More than 40 diverse practitioners, subject matter experts and thought
leaders have been working together since October 2013 as members of the
ICANN Strategy Panels to support development of ICANN's strategic and
Strategy Panels are advisory in nature and report to the ICANN President
and CEO. Their quintessential objective is to inform and support ICANN's
planning process. As highlighted at the opening ceremony at ICANN's public
meeting Durban (July 2013), the Strategy Panels' work and output is
designed to be informative and will not go straight to implementation.
Each of the four panels has now published its draft recommendations, which
are being translated into the five additional UN languages and are open for
The recommendations are varied and wide-reaching, from partnering in a
study to define an architectural vision for DNS in 2020 to organizing
participants by topic rather than constituency groups to adapting ICANN's
cultural to a multi-lingual and multi-cultural one. Highlights of
recommendations by each panel are included below. For more information,
please refer to each panel's draft report.
*Identifier Technology Innovation Recommendations
*Email:* itipanel at icann.org
- DNS use in the infrastructure will continue to grow; DNS use in the
User Interface (UI) is challenged by search-based alternatives, mobile
- ICANN should publish more DNSSEC signed data for reserved labels, etc.
- In cooperation with IETF et al, do a study to define an architectural
vision for DNS in 2020.
- Design & prototype open root publication.
- Design a shared zone control system for the root.
- Perform collision exercises to test the ease of implementing [ICANN2013].
*ICANN Multistakeholder Innovation Recommendations
*Email:* msipanel at icann.org
- ICANN should adopt an evolutionary approach that embraces
experimentation and empirical evidence. The 16 proposals identified include
- Making all of ICANN's data freely available and downloadable in
- Moving from stakeholder engagement to global engagement.
- Using expert networks to provide oversight to ICANN officials.
*Public Responsibility Framework Recommendations
*Email:* prfpanel at icann.org
- Streamlining of current ICANN public responsibility activities under a
Public Responsibility Department (PRD).
- Strengthening ICANN Regional Engagement Strategies.
- Commissioning research to enhance understanding of links between
Internet Governance and Development.
- Exploring the establishment of an external foundation to operate in
the philanthropic space.
*ICANN's Role in the Internet Governance Ecosystem Recommendations
*Email:* ioepanel at icann.org
- Consolidation and simplification of root zone management.
- Globalize, not internationalize, the structure of ICANN and its
associated or related institutions.
- ICANN develop tailored AOC documents to be used to establish bilateral
or multilateral, documented relationships between and among ICANN and
ecosystem partners that wish to participate.
- Globalize the process for accountability within Internet ecosystem.
Share your thoughts today! We encourage you to review each draft report and
provide your perspective by sending your comments to the email address for
each panel's mailing list. Input will be welcome through 30 April 2014; all
input sent to the mailing lists is publicly archived. Each panel will
consider feedback received before finalizing their reports, so make your
To support community consideration and input, an interactive webinar will
be held in early March 2014. A public session also will be conducted at the
upcoming ICANN 49 meeting in Singapore (March 2014). Details will be shared
in due course. Public comments and output will help inform ICANN's
strategic and operational plans.
David A. Olive
*Vice President, Policy Development Support General Manager, ICANN Regional
*Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) *
*Hakki Yeten Cad. Selenium Plaza No:10/C K:5*
*34349 Fulya, Besiktas, Istanbul, Turkey *
*Tel: +90.212.381.8727 <%2B90.212.381.8727> - Fax: +90.212.381.8731
<%2B90.212.381.8731> - Mobile: +1. 202.341.3611 <%2B1.%20202.341.3611>*
More information about the At-Large