[At-Large] Redelegation of the domain representing Mali to the Agence des Technologies de l'Information et de la Communications

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 23:18:48 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Grateful if someone could point me to information on Mali request for
redelegation and what was the outcome if any. I remember vaguely recalling
some difficulties. I hope the ALS in Mali is also well. I vaguely recall
that the request for redelegation was in the midst of political turmoil in
country. If anyone has the link to an update from the Board, grateful if
you could share it please.

I was also troubled when I read that the  Ansar al-Dine tried to desecrate
sacred shrines with pick-axes, and to burn the irreplaceable manuscripts
stored in the libraries of Timbuktu.  We also know that you, the people of
Mali, did all you could to stop them and that, as a result, much of this
precious patrimony has been preserved.  We have heard stories during our
stay here about 300,000 manuscripts that were smuggled out of Timbuktu by
brave Malians during the height of the terror. I am wondering whether
having digital collection of those manuscripts and storing them in a server
offshore could be a way to preserve your collections. It might be a good
idea for a project for the ALS when things stabilize.

 I am amazed to read how many Malians have opened their homes to their
fellow citizens who fled violence in the north.  Unlike many places that
have witnessed conflict, most of the displaced in Mali are not in camps,
but are instead in the care of the larger community.

The fact that the UN Security Council has convened in Mali shows the level
of importance and strategic priority that the world is showing Mali.

Trusting that Hawa and the ALS in Mali are safe and in excellent health.