[At-Large] "It's OK for the Government to Read My Mail".......sorta

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Aug 29 14:37:27 UTC 2013

Thanks for the notice, Carlton

The headline was misleading.

   - 49% are opposed to snooping under all circumstances.
   - 47% are opposed except under specific, documented circumstances
   - 4% are unopposed

That IMO is not an unexpected or distressing answer. The concept of a
court-issued search warrant is understood and accepted when physical
privacy is to be breached, and court-approved wiretaps of telephones have
been with us for decades.

So I don't think it unreasonable that similar allowances would be
considered acceptable in digital space.

The number of people who are OK with warrantless, untransparent snooping --
in low single digits -- is my positive takeaway from this survey.

- Evan