[At-Large] R: [lac-discuss-en] The Right to Be Forgotten

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 2 07:03:02 UTC 2013

I think it is less an issue of whether the
information exists and more of just how readily findable it is.

But you pose an interesting question. A number of
years ago in Canada, there was a trial following
a particularly gruesome pair of rape-murders and
the judge imposed a publication ban. Of course,
US newspapers just over the border covered the
story and were not subject to the publication
ban. There were in fact some libraries in Canada
that carefully cut out the stories before putting
the papers on display. Although before the age of
powerful search engines, USENET and other
Internet resources did make the ban close to useless.

As universities were the major source of Internet
connectivity at the time, I had some very
interesting discussions with our lawyers about
whether we were "publishing" the story when we let it flow through our servers.

Alan