[At-Large] US Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 #Internet Sales Tax

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 23:19:12 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> > It was not that long ago when we were discussing Internet Sales Tax and
> > differing treatments by the OECD members and the US. There are further
> > developments within the US that are interesting with regard to internet
> > sales tax. Two this end, here are two separate pieces on it:
>
> What does this have to do with anything that ICANN or NARALO does?

   1. Is the business of selling domain names subject to "sales tax"?
   2. Do you have Registrars or resellers positioned across different parts
   of the United States?
   3. Are their core businesses "taxable"?

If the answers to (1) and (2) are in the negative, then the Bill has
nothing to do with ICANN but from experience Bills have a habit of changing
form and so under those circumstances, we need to be aware of how this
changes.

Anything that happens in the United States has a direct implication on the
rest of the world particular as far as governing of critical internet
resources go.

> Regards,
> John Levine, johnl at iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
> Dummies",