[At-Large] Putin orders Secret Services to fight freedom of speech on Internet

Karlene Francis karlenef at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 02:38:05 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Internet Control in Russia go to http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-929678

*"The Russian FSB (former KGB) must "step up their efforts in fighting
"terrorism" and "extremism" in cyber space", Russian president Putin said
Thursday at t a meeting of the KGB. Putin ordered his Secret Services to
battle dissident ("extremist") groups both in real life and in cyber space.*

 *"The direct link between "extremists" and "terrorist" groups is obvious.
That is why we need to act as resolutely as possible to neutralize
different types of extremist structures," he said.*

 *Putin also called for effective measures to counter attempts by
"radicals" to use the internet for their purposes.*

 *"When neutralizing any kind of extremist structures with well-planned
special operations, we should act as resolutely as possible, and block
attempts by radicals to use information technologies, internet resources
and social networks for their propaganda. Nobody has a right to speak on
behalf of the entire country, especially those groups and structures that
rely on foreign funding for their existence," Putin said.*
Sincerely,
Karlene Francis