[At-Large] [APAC-Discuss] [ALAC] US Introduces New Cyber Security Bill in Senate

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 10:11:05 UTC 2013

I believe that it is fundamental that the Internet is a resource not
only for the US or its citizens/immigrants/non-citizens, its a global
resource. By no means can one country ensure the sustainability of
such an expansive and globally used network. The challenge to giving
up this resource's control shall always be there and other countries
and regions will continue to dialogue and intervene on issues to make
it a globally managed and shared resource with no single country
remaining in control.

>From where I come, the wide public stereotype belief remains that the
US may be using the Internet to disrupt public morality and order in
Pakistan. This is then further emitted towards the government. Though
Pakistan is seen to remain out of the the Internet public policy
debates, in the background it appears that the country does not want
any external country, group or force to interfere with its
Internetwork. The national exchequer/regulator has also been looking
into possibilities for taxing foreign internet giants like google. The
18th Amendment to the constitution gives provinces more autonomy to
look after their own issues and explore the opportunity to regulate
and tax foreign corporation activities in Pakistan. There may be two
forms of such regulations in the future such as federal and provincial
regulations.

Though the issues of civil rights/liberties and privacy are relatively
new to the population of Pakistan but the population possibly remains
alien to such issues as access to the Internet is cheap from western
point of view but according to the local financial and inflation
situation, its still a very expensive resource.

Now these insights would have no meaning for US legislators because
the world from the US point of view is a global government that the US
must uphold across the globe and our country would become an
insignificant portion of that global order. These statements and
claims on the Internet reveal this disparity that the world countries
are under a global government of one nation that needs to keep the
network working according to its perception and purview. That is where
the world comes into conflict with such perceptions.

Best

Fouad

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I agree with your proposal and support it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sala
>
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM, JJS <jjs.global at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *Dear Salanieta,*
>> *
>> *
>> *thank you for bringing this to our attention. It will be worth following.
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *This draft bill comes on the heels of SOPA and other proposed
>> legislation which, under the guise of protecting citizens, businesses and
>> states, would allow public authority to curtail civic and individual
>> rights, without adequate protection for the Internet user, under the
>> convenient assumption that what is good for a sovereign state is of
>> necessity good for its citizens.*
>> *
>> *
>> *It is in this context, and in the face of this growing threat, that I
>> proposed, during an ALAC monthly meeting, that we take up the subject of
>> existing and foreseeable infringements on civic and individual rights, such
>> as the expanding practice of DPI without proper parliamentary oversight
>> (and this is done not only in states governed by a single political party
>> without representative democracy).*
>> *
>> *
>> *Best regards,*
>> *Jean-Jacques.*
>>
>> 2013/1/26 Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
>> salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> The US Senate has introduced a new Cybersecurity Bill through Senators
>>> John
>>> D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV, Chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science, and
>>> Transportation Committee, Tom Carper, incoming Chairman of the Senate
>>> Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, and Dianne
>>> Feinstein,
>>> Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence where they made a
>>> Press Release, see:
>>>
>>> http://commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=7a7124d7-190c-4160-abf3-4012c2db737c
>>>
>>> To see the Bill, visit:
>>>
>>> http://commerce.senate.gov/public/?a=Files.Serve&File_id=b678eb9a-b5c1-4540-aca3-3e857c7627da
>>>
>>> This is interesting and relevant as far as it pertains to critical
>>> information infrastructure that the US considers to be part of the US
>>> Infrastructure. Whilst the models point to public private collaboration
>>> which makes sense because it is the private sector that controls much of
>>> the infrastructure anyway except in situations where if there were a State
>>> of Emergency and the rights to control/access infrastructure by the State
>>> and it has its challenges.
>>>
>>> This Bill affects ICANN's operations as well hence the relevance.

>>> Suva
>>> Fiji
>>>
>>> Twitter: @SalanietaT
>>> Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro