[At-Large] Withdraw the gun database

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Jan 24 01:55:18 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 05:31 PM, Neil Schwartzman wrote:

>> Yes, LEAs can try to get the data - but when every bit of
>> information provided in the Whois data base is either not there or
>> completely inaccurate, having the right to it is of little help.

> Moreover, given that most of the work done in anti-abuse is done by
> entities that are not LEA, the need to have a court order to remove
> proxy services is too high a barrier.

"too high a barrier" is subjective.  And the weights used to calculate
it vary depending whether one is on is on the let-me-play-LEA side or on
the it's-my-private-data side.

It is very dangerous to grant to wannabe law enforcement stand-ins the
powers of real law enforcement agents.  The latter are bound by lots of
procedures and constraints, all of which have been put there in response
to centuries of actual experience with what happens when those
procedures and constraints are absent.

We should not encourage vigilantes on the internet; private "justice"
has a rather poor history of being actual justice.

	--karl--