[At-Large] [APAC-Discuss] R: RES: R: France Proposes Internet Tax - Old War Resurfacing

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:50:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Roberto Gaetano <
roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am not saying I disagree with Sala, nor that I approve the move from the
> French government.
> I am only saying that the issue has other aspects that we need to consider
> and it is not "just" the re-edition of the tax war.

Yes, there are other aspects that need to be considered.

> I take the chance to respond also to Evan, who wrote:
>
> > Given Google's particular business model, this DOES amount to a trade
> tax.
>
> What makes it a tax is Google's "particular" business model.
> What does not allow us to speak generally about a tax, is exactly the word
> "particular" in the statement.
>
> Transfer pricing was mentioned in the French Proposal and I assume that on
products/services that VAT would be apply.

On a similar note, there is an interesting article published on July 2012
called Carriage vs Content by Geoff Huston, see:
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2012-07/carriagevcontent.html